The Akan language (ak) was added to MediaWiki in the mid-2000s. It was a mistake: Akan is a language group, which includes the Twi and Fante languages. They are related, but distinct. Both of them are also supported in MediaWiki.
There was a whole Wikipedia in the Akan language, but it was recently closed after there was clear consensus that the language of its content is the same as in the Twi Wikipedia.
There are very few localizations in Akan in translatewiki, and they can also be merged into Twi (I've already checked with a native speaker).
Some links for reference:
To avoid confusion and unnecessary contribution to a wrong language, the support for the Akan language should be removed as much as possible. Existing useful content should be merged into Twi or Fante, and the rest should be deleted.
Some things I can think of:
- remove ak from Wikimedia servers configuration (patch for ImportSources)
- remove ak from cxserver configuration (patch)
- remove ak from translatewiki configuration (patch)
- move content in ak on Wikidata to tw or fat or delete it. Wikidata query requested here.
- remove ak from language-data (or at least declare it as deprecated) (pull request)
- remove ak from Names.php (or at least declare it as deprecated) (patch)
- remove ak from the Wikimedia Portal
- move Wikipedia Android app localizations from ak to tw (done in translatewiki by @Amire80; deleted automatically in export)
- remove ak from mobile apps' configurations. "Both iOS and Android apps have scripts that run periodically and update our list of supported wikis. If a certain wiki has been sunset, it will be picked up automatically and removed."- dbrant (pull request)
- remove ak as a language from jquery.ime (but maybe unify the code for Twi, Akan, and Nzema) (pull request)
- remove ak from SiteMatrix language list configuration
If anyone can think of anything more, please add it.