This is a draft related to the Engineering Community 2014-15 annual goals. Edits, comments, and subtasks/blockers are welcome.
We want to scale up technical contributions to Wikimedia projects.
- Outreach to groups is a way to spread our mission quicker and wider than with individual outreach.
- The average quality of first time contributions can be increased by collaborating with experienced technical contributors.
- Alignment of priorities and roadmaps increases the chances for these projects to help Wikimedia just by helping themselves.
We also want to share Wikimedia's success with travel companions in the free knowledge movement that are important for our software stack, the diversity of our communities, and the long term game.
- Small and very specialized projects have a hard time promoting their work, recruiting contributors, and fundraising.
- Frequently, these problems are more accute for organizations contributing to the diversity of gender, class, ethnicity, geography...
- Wikimedia needs to collaborate in technical forums and organizations where long term strategies are being defined.
This task here can be Closed Resolved when we have ongoing collaboration at different levels with five relevant technical organizations, conversations started with five more, and a documented process to propose new organizations and activities. More details in the blocking tasks (to be created):
- Prioritized list of technical organizations relevant to Wikimedia. Implies the coordination of Wikimedia teams and individual contributors active in other communities. Mapping the Wikimedia software stack to organizations. A process to maintain the list.
- Wikimedia technical roadmap and backlog for external use.
- How to apply for Wikimedia grants doc. Implies the question Are the existing Wikimedia grants programs suitable for external organizations?
- Metrics to measure collaboration and success.
- Wikimedia contributions upstream and vice versa.
- Participation of external projects in Wikimedia events, and vice versa.
- Activities funded, outcomes.