Type of activity: Pre-scheduled session.
Main topic: Handling wiki content beyond plaintext
The issue: good support for rich media (video/audio and beyond -> from panoramas to maps to interactive timelines to diagrams that move etc) on Wikipedia will need support from multiple functional areas of the MediaWiki landscape and Wikimedia world. How can we make this happen?
- need folks to help with making MultimediaViewer extension more extensible
- need folks to help devise a good iframe embedding system -- see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Brion_VIBBER/Embed_controls_for_iframes -- to allow sharing over InstantCommons etc
- need folks to help with TimedMediaHandler, 3d, ??something for panoramas??, ??something for interactive diagrams and simulations??, etc !
- need good infrastructure in the wiki for storing large files and making derivitives that may be slow
- need to make sure the caching/storage layers handle large files or they are split up
- need low-level players -- integrate outside libraries
- need to talk to editors to find what THEY need to actually produce and upload and edit things!
- need to talk with curators and upload reviewers, make sure the tools they need to cull problem files are there
How can we get this support going in various directions?
- within WMF, there's separate Reading and Editing groups which may need to coordinate
- who within or outside WMF will be responsible for core support issues?
- how to get things tested and deployed?
- how to make sure we coordinate with GLAMs and individuals who can provide material in various formats, and make sure that their formats and our formats are compatible?
- get some folks to commit to providing some backing support within WMF Reading and Editing departments, if possible
- figure out who to work with in other directions!
- next steps -> reach out to users for ideas, testing and support