The Release II ticket T205734 adds the capability to do Category filtering without Participants. To make that capability available for users, we need to adjust the filtering UI. A couple of points:
- The filtering UI is not moving to the Settings page; it will remain on the Event Summary page. This is a request from Engineering.
Design challenge/filtering logic
The statements below summarize functionality associated with independent categories as succinctly as I'm able to. Making the new requirements and functionality clear to users—without significantly changing the filtering UI—is the goal of this design ticket.
Some of the statements below will need to be made clear up front and announced clearly on the page via instruction text. Others may be more appropriately conveyed, or perhaps reinforced, through design choices and/or error messages (e.g., if the user included Wikidata as a wiki of interest but didn't provide Participants; or if the user includes an wiki that is not covered by filtering).
- Users must select Participant or Category filtering; these two can also be combined.
- Participant filtering applies to all wikis and therefor covers the minimum requirement for all.
- If users employ Categories without Participants, they must supply categories for every wiki for which they want results.
- However, they will get no metrics for Wikidata (where Category filtering doesn't work).
- Categories filter articles on Wikipedia and files on Commons (see language already provided for this in T209107)