Interested in this task? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, or comment on the task.
The newcomer homepage is a feature to help newcomers get oriented when they first create their account, so they can figure out how to start editing quickly. One component of the homepage is the mentorship module, which encourages newcomers to post questions to an experienced user's talk page. One concern is that they don't know how to find out that they have been answered. Newcomers should expect to receive a ping when they answered, and we hope they notice it in their Echo notifications.
The idea here is that in the modal for asking a question, we may want to illustrate to newcomers how to check their notifications to receive their response, perhaps by indicating it with a GuidedTour addition.
Here is a mockup of the mentorship module and the modal that it opens: https://wikimedia.invisionapp.com/share/KUQV2QDJ8A7#/screens/350928124
Some rough specifications for work during Hackathon:
- We want the GuidedTour to appear for the first time the user asks a question on the help panel, homepage help module, or homepage mentorship module. Therefore, a user could see the popup a maximum of three times: one for each place they can ask a question.
- It will only appear on desktop, because GuidedTour doesn't work on mobile.
- It should be one popup that points to the Echo alerts (the bell icon).
- For questions from the help desk and help module, the popup should say, "When your question is answered, you will have a new alert here." Its header should say, "Help desk alerts".
- For questions from the mentorship module, the popup should say, "When your mentor responds, you will have a new alert here." Its header should say, "Mentor alerts".
- The button to dismiss the popup should say, "Got it".
- The background behind the popup should not be gray (per @Volker_E).
- The button should not be a primary blue; it should just be a normal button (per @Volker_E).