This task involves the work with making sure all features contained within the “Discussion tools” beta feature available by default to everyone (logged in and out) using wiki text talk pages at mediawiki.org.
Ideally, this deployment happens the week of 27 June
- Namespaces: Main namespace talk pages and User talk pages (per T304750)
- Platform(s): Desktop
- Upon landing on a wikitext talk page at mediawiki.org (e.g. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Talk_pages_project/Usability), everyone (logged in and out) should see all features previously contained within the “Discussion tools” beta feature available by default
- Where “all features previously contained within the ‘Discussion tools’ beta features” includes: New Topic Tool, Reply Tool, Topic Subscriptions, and Visual enhancements (for now, this will just include Topic Containers).
- When visiting Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-betafeatures “Discussion tools” should no longer appear considering all of the features it previously contained are now available by default and configurable within Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing.
We are making all of these features available by default at mediawiki.org for two primary reasons:
- It’s important that we – the Editing Team and volunteers – have the opportunity to use and evaluate the entire suite of DiscussionTools features together, in “real” discussions, so that we can notice and smooth rough edges that may exist between features
- Mediawiki.org contains a relatively small number of wikitext talk pages. With this in mind, we assume the harm that could result from any bugs within the software when some of it is in a “beta” state to be relatively low
- All Requirements are implemented