Diffs: Incorrect number of bytes added or removed
OpenPublic

Description

The number of bytes added in several diffs are wrong. The bug applies to page histories and user contributions, but does not seem to have any effect on Recent changes.

Here is one example:
MerlIWBot edits Template:Link GA on wikidata-test-client by adding one interlanguage link. In his contributions and in the page history the edit is stated as being 1370 bytes. Those 1370 bytes are actually the size of the template itself, but not the size of the edit. The RecentChanges state that the edit is 30 bytes, which is much more believable.

From /Special:Contributions/MerlIwBot:
18:51, 12 May 2012 (diff | hist) . . (+1,370)‎ . . Nm Template:Link GA ‎ (Robot: Adding el:Πρότυπο:Link GA) (top)

From index.php?title=Template:Link GA&action=history
(cur | prev) 18:51, 12 May 2012‎ MerlIwBot (Talk)‎ m . . (1,370 bytes) (+1,370)‎ . . (Robot: Adding el:Πρότυπο:Link GA) (undo)

From RecentChanges:
12 May 2012
(diff | hist) . . m Template:Link GA‎; 18:51 . . (+30)‎ . . ‎MerlIwBot (Talk)‎ (Robot: Adding el:Πρότυπο:Link GA)

I can name several other examples aswell, but I am going to stick to this one for now.


Version: unspecified
Severity: normal

bzimport added a subscriber: Unknown Object (MLST).
bzimport set Reference to bz36976.
Snaevar created this task.Via LegacyMay 19 2012, 5:04 PM
Denny added a comment.Via ConduitMay 20 2012, 3:18 AM

Interesting error. My assumption is that this is due to the fact that we first imported only the most recent version of the articles, and then we changed our mind and imported their full histories, and so basically all the diff sizes use the wrong basis when they were calculated. The rebuildall scrip gets stuck for some reason on the simple.wp import of the elements, but we didn't investigate that further.

If this theory is confirmed, this would be a bug for the import or rebuild scripts, and does not have to do anything with the Wikidata extension, and would need to be recategorized. Thanks for the catch!

MarkAHershberger added a comment.Via ConduitMay 24 2012, 5:56 PM

(In reply to comment #1)

Interesting error. My assumption is that this is due to the fact that we first
imported only the most recent version of the articles, and then we changed our
mind and imported their full histories, and so basically all the diff sizes use
the wrong basis when they were calculated. The rebuildall scrip gets stuck for
some reason on the simple.wp import of the elements, but we didn't investigate
that further.

If this theory is confirmed, this would be a bug for the import or rebuild
scripts,

re-categorizing

bzimport added a comment.Via ConduitMay 27 2012, 12:53 PM

Thehelpfulonewiki wrote:

Marking as new.

Snaevar added a comment.Via ConduitMay 27 2012, 1:51 PM

Adding a few links to the example I provided, for easy access.

User Contributions of MerlIwBot (when this was written the diff in question is the newest one): http://wikidata-test-client.wikimedia.de/wiki/Special:Contributions/MerlIwBot

Revision history of Template:LinkGA (when this was written the diff in question is the newest one): http://wikidata-test-client.wikimedia.de/w/index.php?title=Template:Link_GA&action=history

The diff itself: http://wikidata-test-client.wikimedia.de/w/index.php?title=Template%3ALink_GA&diff=2677&oldid=15118

Recent changes (the diff is under "12 may 2012" at 18:51): http://wikidata-test-client.wikimedia.de/w/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&days=30&from=&limit=250

daniel added a comment.Via ConduitNov 15 2012, 4:34 PM

removign this from the wikidata-bugs, since it'S not related to wikidata or wikibase.

leucosticte added a comment.Via ConduitOct 25 2013, 9:00 AM

I am noticing an issue now in which if I go to, say, https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Leucosticte , it shows me in parentheses the total length of the page rather than the number of bytes added. E.g., if I increased the page length to 9,531, it says (+9,531). It's also doing this on my other wiki which is running MW 1.22alpha.

He7d3r added a comment.Via ConduitOct 25 2013, 9:16 AM

(In reply to comment #7)

Confirmed.

PleaseStand added a comment.Via ConduitOct 25 2013, 9:40 AM

(In reply to comment #7)

I am noticing an issue now in which if I go to, say,
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Leucosticte , it shows
me
in parentheses the total length of the page rather than the number of bytes
added. E.g., if I increased the page length to 9,531, it says (+9,531). It's
also doing this on my other wiki which is running MW 1.22alpha.

I think you have encountered a different bug (bug 56115).

Add Comment