At the wikis that use Extension:Translate, it would be great to teach people that we can limit the search results to a specific language using the inlanguage:foo parameter. E.g.
because it is often very hard to find a string of text when it appears in hundreds of translated/semi-translated pages.
Please use the location and label as indicated in the mock
Info i texts
TEXT FOR COPYING:
Pages in this language:
Description: Will only search in the language you choose.
Be aware of the following:
- You can only search for pages in one language.
- This field will only be visible in wikis that have the translatewiki extension enabled.
Help page: Inlanguage
Syntax-Equivalent in the normal search: inlanguage: followed by a language code like inlanguage:es. You can exclude languages by adding a - in front of the keyword e.g. -inlanguage:en.
- If the wiki does not support the translate extension, the field/label is not visible
- If the wiki supports the translate extension, there is a field with label and info text as indicated in the mock/ticket
- The field uses the same input method as file type
- The presentation of languages and the list of languages should be consistent with the rest of wp, eg. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spezial:Einstellungen --> Internationalisation/Languages
- The default of the field is "Select language", which can also be selected from the list. If "Select language" is selected, this keyword is ignored
- Searching with this field reduces the search results to only this language (i.e. we use the inlanguage keyword correctly)
- the use of inlanguage should be tracked and added to the schema. The fact if inlanguage was offerered to the user at all should be tracked in a separate property (according to @GoranSMilovanovic)
-We assume but need to make sure that this is reality: Content wise you can select the same languages as interface wise (e.g. seperate between different types of German)