Here we organize the work required to implement one outcome of Wikimedia Foundation Annual Plan FY2017-18 - Community Engagement - Program 12 Onboarding new developers: Understand how and why new developers start contributing and stay or leave (some parts not related to this goal have been removed)
Our goal is to achieve a sustained increase of new developers contributing to Wikimedia projects, clearly departing from the current stagnant trend. For this, we will focus our developer outreach in selected projects ready to receive new contributors, helping them to improve their documentation, support, and activities for newcomers. We will explore new groups, new geographies, and new approaches to increase the diversity of our technical community and respond better to the technical needs of our movement and our users.
Outcome 1: An understanding of how and why new developers start contributing and stay or leave, focusing on selected areas geared toward newcomers. Starting on September 2017, community will have access to a quarterly report of our developer outreach activities including metrics and trends.
Objective 1: A quarterly report to understand how and why new developers start contributing and stay or leave, focusing on selected areas geared toward newcomers. Starting in September 2017, we will compile and publish a quarterly report of our developer outreach activities including metrics, trends, lessons learned, and recommendations. This report will inform all our work related to this program.
- Milestone 1:
- A Developer Outreach report is published quarterly, on time to inform Wikimedia Foundation’s quarterly check-ins. The first report is published in September 2017.
- Milestone 4:
- A report explaining Wikimedia’s developer outreach activities (through programs, events, activities, groups, and media) and including recommendations to increase the number and diversity of new developers contributing to Wikimedia.
- This report addresses these questions: Can we find untapped or underexploited pools of developers through? Which partnerships should we aim for in the free software and free knowledge movements, and among other groups aligned or compatible with the Wikimedia mission?
- The report also explores the potential use of Wikimedia brands, projects, and campaigns to better attract new developers among readers.
- This report should be elaborated with the support of other Community Engagement teams, Communications, New contributorsTechnology, Product and Advancement, who will review it before its final publication.