Universal Language Selector trigger in personal bar (like one on mediawiki.org), language settings cog icon (T52575), and the language selector for the Compact Language Links (T70075) are all keyboard accessible. Recent efforts are made to increase the keyboard accessibility of the panels opened from those triggers.
Language settings panel and its associated 'Display' and 'Input' tabs should be accessible after T52793: Make ULS accessible from keyboard.
For the rest of the panels, following behaviors are observed in production:
- CLL has decent keyboard accessibility:
- You can open language selector with Enter/Space when CLL trigger has focus
- Using TAB switches from input field to list of results immediately or after completing the placeholder
- Once the focus is moved from input field to language list, scrolling works fine with keyboard arrows, page up/down and home/end keys
- ULS in personal bar has limited keyboard accessibility:
- Language selector can be opened using Enter (but not with Space) when trigger has focus
- When input field has focus, tabbing leads you away from the ULS panel altogether
- Clicking on the language results panel (on the panel itself, not on any language link) gives ability to use keyboard arrows, page up/down and home/end keys, but there doesn't seem to be the way to get focus for any of the languages on the list
As noted, arrow keys serve good role in scrolling the language results panel (once it receives focus), but navigating through the list of languages using keyboard arrows may be desired behavior and certainly one I expected many times as user.
Expected results: ULS (in personal bar) should have at least same accessibility features as CLL one and using arrows to navigate through the list of languages could be considered.