Can't add a link in a basic reference dialog, because the inspector opens on the right side of the page which is deactivated when the primary dialog is open
Steps to replicate:
- Open the Basic reference dialog
- Click on the link inspector icon in the toolbar
Observe that, the link inspector is opening in the background on the right side of the page which is deactivated/not accessible when the primary dialog is open therefore making it unusable.
We may want to keep the tools column both (a) usable to access relevant cards for the content in the dialog and (b) focused on the relevant tools (e.g., not showing two identical editing toolbars in different places). In order to achieve this, the following is proposed:
- Do not disable the tools column. Restrict the dialog overlay to only cover the document, not the whole screen (alternatively, moving the overlay an disable the document similarly to what is done when publishing).
- Remove all cards except for the one being edited, and show such card as disabled (disabled button and 75% opacity).
- Show new cards as needed in the tools column as the user interacts with the dialog.
An example below illustrates the idea:
In the example, the user selects a reference and edits it by using the "edit" action in the card. As a result, a dialog appears, and only the reference card remains (as disabled) on the tools column. When the user clicks on the link from the rich text field of the dialog, a link card appears in the tools column that can be operated in the usual way.