A memory leak has been detected in the Popups extension.
The purpose of this spike is to isolate it further by reducing noise from other extensions.
Outcomes of the spike
- Someone on Reading web team is able to replicate the memory leak on a production page via the detailed notes in https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T205127#4675717
- The same memory leak has been replicated on a localhost/staging environment with minimal setup (to isolate leaks from other extensions)
- The origin of the memory leak has been located. Ideally we should know exactly what is causing this, but at minimum let's aim to understand which module/part of the feature is at fault.
- Is the memory leak OS specific or for all browsers?
- This ticket has been closed with an actionable next step to remove the memory leak. Note: Fixing the memory leak is not necessarily in scope for this task.