We've seen over time that the ability to help and nurture newcomers is a skill that can be learned. Not all experienced editors automatically know how best to guide newcomers. The idea here is to develop a training that can be delivered to the set of experienced editors who answer help desk questions and volunteer to be mentors on wikis that receive Growth team features.
Ideas so far:
- The training can be similar from wiki to wiki, but should be delivered by a member of a given wiki's community in their own language.
- Any experienced editors would be invited, but especially those who answer help desk questions or who are mentors.
- It could be recorded so that future mentors could watch.
A rough goal is to try a training with the Czech community on September 28, 2019. So the contents have to be ready for the week before.
- Establish training date
- Benoit coordinates the development of Training Materials and share with Marshall
- Test the training
- Test wrap-up
- Martin translates training materials to Czech
- Develop strategy with timelines for Martin to conduct the training with Czech community with metrics of success
- Martin conduct training with Czech community
- Conduct retro of training to iterate for other communities
- Publish contents on wiki.