T100645 proposes a way to make it easier for readers and editors to understand the sources used in articles by creating a way to refer to different pages of the same work when adding references to an article. The implementation of the above will affect the experience of contributors editing using the VisualEditor. This task is about defining what the experience for contributors editing in VE will need to be before the first version of the new sub-referencing feature is deployed. (This project is somewhat unique in so far it introduces new functionality by way of new wikitext syntax which cannot be "rolled back" thus the need for the above "Requirements" to be met before anything is deployed.)
- Work with references unchanged:
- [A user can create, edit and delete a reference that can be reused i.e. name a reference and edit its name.]
- A user can create, edit and delete a child reference i.e. reuse a reference.
- Differentiation between reference and extensions:
- As someone editing a sub-reference in VE, it should be clear you are editing a reference that has a relationship to other reference(s)
- As someone editing a sub-reference in VE, it should be clear to you what reference said sub-reference relates to.
- As someone editing a sub-reference in VE, you should not be able to accidentally "orphan" sub-references by deleting their parent reference
- As someone editing in VE, you should not be able to mistakenly break/delete parent references by attempting to edit the contents of a sub-reference or change their group
- Display sub-references as in frontend:
- An article's sub-references should appear to VE users the same way they appear to users viewing that article's sub-references in read mode.
- Display sub-reference in relation to parent (similar to frontend) in VE: T247921: Ensure subreferences displayed in VE are visually consistent with read mode
- Display full reference in popup dialog in VE (see also T239228: Make the ReferencePreviews feature of Popups compatible with BookReferencing)
- Add info about related references in edit dialog: T247924: Display notice that a parent reference has subreferences in VE pop up and T247922: Display parent references of subreferences in the VE pop up and wizard
- Display sub-reference in relation to parent (similar to frontend) in re-use dialog
- UX needed: Add options to create new sub-references in VE (edit dialog, re-use dialog)
- UX needed: Find solution for deletion of parents (display warning, forbid deleting, move to reflist, etc.) See T247925: Find solution to avoid "orphaning" a subreference when a parent reference is deleted in VE.
- UX needed: Find solution for group handling (can sub-references have groups independent of parent? How to handle changes?) See also T247929: Find solution to avoid mistakenly breaking link between parent and subreference in VE.
- old project page: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Technische_W%C3%BCnsche/Topw%C3%BCnsche/Erweiterung_der_Einzelnachweise
- tech wish survey 2013 https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Umfragen/Technische_W%C3%BCnsche/Einzelnachweise
- de.wiki community wishlist discussion: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Umfragen/Technische_W%C3%BCnsche/Top_20
- Phabricator workboard: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/book-referencing/
- Prototype: https://de.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Faultier
- old tickets: T15127