Not to be confused with the similar bug from 2014: T71729
This one is caused by a regression in T249372: [Dev] DRY up the menu templating code
The distinctive difference is: the "More" menu is not visible in this bug, but it's visible in the old bug.
Related regression that was fixed by reverting the CSS: T253912: gadget regression: addPortletLink doesn't reveal hidden menus in Vector any more [causes disappearance of merge datas on Wikidata]
This bug is caused by not reverting the JS.
Steps to reproduce
- Technology used: Chrome Version 81.0.4044.129 (Official Build) (64-bit) on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G4032)
- Navigate to a page on Mediawiki (e.g. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Readers/Web/Team, or https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:KZimmerman_(WMF) as in the attached gif.
- Reduce the browser window size, until you reach a point where the search bar area starts alternating its location and expanding & contracting automatically, as seen below in the animated gif.
- The links and search bar should contract to fit, but should not jump around
(click on image to see animation)
- Browser version: Chrome Version 81.0.4044.129 (Official Build) (64-bit)
- OS version: MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G4032)
- Device model: MacBook Pro
- Device language: English
Check any additional observations
- Observed on the beta cluster wiki
- Observed on a production wiki
- Observed on Vector desktop skin
- Observed on MinervaNeue responsive skin
- Observed while logged in
- Observed while not logged in (anonymous)
- load https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candeal as an anonymous user visit with a window width > 800px
- Resize the window width resized to 500px
- The menu should not dance.
Sign off steps
- Make sure a task has been created regarding the long term plan for this code in legacy and whether it should be dropped from the codebase.
QA Results - Beta
QA Results - enwiki