When looking up an article on Wikipedia, I want to focus on reading its contents and not be confronted with edit asks, so that I can process information more efficiently and have a distraction free reading experience.
👉 Please check out the original designs on Figma with the latest updates. The screenshots below might have been updated in the meantime.
05) Enabling the Reading focus modesetting...
06) ...does two things to guarantee a distraction free reading experience:
- It hides the bottom bar on scroll
- When users scroll back up, the app and bottom bar is revealed.
- Note: The app bar in the production version of the app already features that behavior. We’re now applying it in the bottom bar.
- It hides all edit call to actions, this includes the following UI elements:
- ADD IMAGE CAPTION
- ADD IMAGE TAGS
- All EDIT pencil buttons/icons
- The future talk page bubble with active discussions will be hidden but the link to talk pages will be available in the overflow menu
To be discussed / added by design on Dec 7
- How does logged in / out state affect these settings?