- Go to Meta (example link)
- Enable new Vector and new search
- Switch user language to Hebrew. Look carefully at the search box: the placeholder says "search Meta", aligned to the right, and with the Hebrew word חיפוש on the right like so:
- Click the search box. Observe: The placeholder jumps to the other side, and the Hebrew word חיפוש is now on the left.
Expected: The placeholder is supposed to remain in the same place and in the same visual word order.
This happens in all wikis when using them in a language whose direction is different from its content language, e.g. English Wikipedia with Hebrew user language and vice versa. It's particularly relevant for multilingual wikis, like Wikidata, Commons, and Meta.
This issue lies in WVUI and its usage of dir="auto". This overrides the default language and direction set by Vector.
- A change in WVUI is required.
- Codex has implemented a 1:1 HTML attribute copy of the false WVUI way. Needs a patch equal to WVUI.
- Visit https://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=he
- Verify that the placeholder text is aligned to the right (near the magnifying glass)
- Focus the search input
- Verify that the placeholder text is still aligned to the right (near the magnifying glass)