- Mentioned In
- T93770: Engineering Community quarterly goals for April-June 2015
T94165: Engineering Community quarterly review January - March 2015
P411 Data and developer hub scratchpad
rOPUP2ab7f93c63f5: add basic Apache site and docroot for dev.wm.org
rOPUP5c38d40eef1b: add misc-web varnish for dev.wikimedia.org
T85942: A plan for data and developer hub
- Mentioned Here
- T313: Future of the current Developer Hub at mediawiki.org
T369: Implement a namespace in mediawiki.org to host the developer hub
T302: API sandboxes for the Developer Hub
T312: Technology selection for the Developer Hub
T93613: Deploy Blueprint on mediawiki.org as optional and experimental skin
T101441: Goal: Integrate the new Web APIs hub with mediawiki.org
T97283: Plan to focus on the Developer audience
P411 Data and developer hub scratchpad
T299: Release the Developer Hub prototype
qgil wrote on 2014-07-28 16:11:23 (UTC)
I have updated the nutshell + section 0 + Goals at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Data_%26_Developer_Hub#Goals in order to match them with our current plans. Hopefully all of us are on the same page. Otherwise, plase edit/discuss.
qgil wrote on 2014-08-26 06:45:29 (UTC)
@MSyed, we have invested too much time in the naming discussion. dev.wikimedia.org was your original plan and last week still was good for you. Let's move on. If at a later stage during the prototyping phase we find a better name/domain we can still change it. We need to move forward now onto the many other open questions blocking this task here.
- The plan must be described in https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Dev.wikimedia.org
- It must provide a high-level description of what we need and how are we going to build it. A description that a total newcomer should quickly understand. Think of Lila having 10 minutes free and poking at that page to decide whether we should put dev, ux, and doc resources to this project or not yet. :)
- The structure of the page is probably a mix of the current wiki page and your paste: Goals, Requirements, Content, Design, Technology, Maintenance.
- There are a bunch of subtasks (some of them with more subtasks) that need to be resolved and documented in this plan. Most of these tasks have been opened during months. You have a plan in mind. Resolve accordingly and be open to integrate better ideas if/when they come, but we need to close planning tasks and move forward.
- The ask for resources is a key piece of this plan. You have started identifying the tasks that need extra resources. The plan should be almost exhaustive identifying the content, design, and technology tasks that need to be completed to launch. If a task is missing, please create it.
- Finally let's organize the open tasks here, defining which ones are blocking T299: Release the Developer Hub prototype, which ones are blocking the launch (task to be created), and which ones can be left for later.
I have little to say about the ideas of your plan described in P411 and in our several conversations and threads. I think we are on the same page. My only observation is that you need to be able to describe the plan in a less subjective-dialog-with-myself way, and more as a structured and succinct document that others can quickly understand and support.
I presented a resourcing request as part of the Fiscal Year 2015-16 discussions, and also as part of T97283: Plan to focus on the Developer audience. I guess we will know more in the next weeks, but for now there is little else to do on the general plan than wait. Of course, we can keep working on the docs and the prototype.
- T101441: Goal: Integrate the new Web APIs hub with mediawiki.org is scheduled for the next quarter.
- I have gone through the relevant tasks, closing T312: Technology selection for the Developer Hub as resolved and leaving comments in the areas still blocking this quarterly goal.
- In terms of resources, we have @Spage confirmed as tech writer for this goal. Maybe we can get more tech writer help. That's it.
- Main risk: we need to sync with the Blueprint skin maintainers and with the mediawiki.org admins to enable the skin in mediawiki.org (T93613)
All in all the plan is pretty clear for this goal. We need to work a bit on the "agreed" part, and on the "documented" part too. This task looks perfectly doable by the end of this month.
T302: API sandboxes for the Developer Hub also needs to be clarified in terms of need for the next quarter.
@Spage, can you talk with Reading Design and Reading Infrastructure (probably in different meetings) to agree their commitments to T101441: Goal: Integrate the new Web APIs hub with mediawiki.org in the next three months, please?
We are still discussing fundamental aspects of the plan in relation to T369: Implement a namespace in mediawiki.org to host the developer hub (should we use a new Dev: namespace or reuse the Api: namespace?). This would have implications on the scope of the project and also on T313: Future of the current Developer Hub at mediawiki.org. Meanwhile, the plan for Blueprint also has some question marks on resourcing.
For these reasons, I'm keeping this task open, even if the new question marks are a consequence of the release of the prototype and (if I would have been faster documenting the pre-prototype agreement) this task should have been closed before. :)
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Thread:Project:Current_issues/Adding_a_dev_namespace_for_%22Data_and_developer_hub%22_articles has been resolved with the decision to build upon the API: namespace in mediawiki.org. We are moving away from dev.wikimedia.org and the "Dev" concept to describe the scope of this project. We are leaving the "data" aspect for later in order to focus now on Web APIs.