If a user has verified their email address on Wikimedia, by default the preference to receive emails from other users is enabled. While this can be a productive tool to communicate it is also a big vector for harassment because this communication is not transparent and available on wiki for administrator's to witness.
The current preference is all or nothing — either all users can send emails, or no users can send emails. As a target of harassment, I want to prevent certain users from sending me email.
- Discussion: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Allow_users_to_restrict_who_can_send_them_email
- More discussion: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Categories/Miscellaneous#CW2016-R093
- Product notes: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_health_initiative/User_Mute_feature#Sending_email_via_Special:EmailUser
- See also T138165: Allow users to restrict which user groups that can send them direct emails via Special:EmailUser
User:Apples mutes User:Bananas
- On the 'User profile' tab of Special:Preferences, under the 'Email options' section a box similar to the Echo Mute box should appear, allowing users to prevent other users from sending them direct emails
- Final copy:
- Label: Prohibit these users from sending me direct email
- Hint text: Add more...
- Update the copy of MediaWiki:allowemail to: Allow other users to email me directly
- This first version will be a local Mute list only
- Bananas should not see the "Email this user" link in the left rail on User:Apples or other userspace pages
- If Bananas directly navigates to Special:EmailUser/Apples they should see the standard error message of "This user has chosen not to receive email from other users" as if Apples had the entire preference disabled:
- The muting should still work even if the muted user changes their username. See T173475.