Two of the most recent causes for this topic to come up:
- Greg had a conversation at the Hackathon that reiterated the issue with discoverability and clarity of getting new code/extensions/services into production at WMF.
- During the post-mortem meeting of a recent ORES related incident, the extension submittal review process was discussed and we decided that it would be worth reviewing it for completeness.
Initial brain dump
Can we make it obviously clear to outsiders (volunteer developers or even WMDE developers) who they need to talk to and what process they should follow?
First obvious questions:
- Why is the wiki page named "Review queue"?
- Why is that page on mw.org?
Existing/historical relevant pages
- https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Writing_an_extension_for_deployment&oldid=2288571 (pre-merge diff from Nov 2016 - see also Xephyr826's partial rewrite from Oct 2016)