In T284836, we specified that when someone is automatically subscribed to a conversation, and they subsequently unsubscribe from that conversation, that person should remain unsubscribed to that conversation until they manually resubscribe to it.
This task is about revising/simplifying the logic above such that people will become automatically subscribed to conversations they start and/or comment in in all cases except when the the Automatically subscribe to topics setting within Special:Preferences is disabled.
- Visit Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing and verify the Automatically subscribe to topics setting is enabled
- Visit a talk page (e.g. https://patchdemo.wmflabs.org/wikis/2f3d9efbec/wiki/Talk:Main_Page)
- Start a new discussion or comment in an existing one
- Verify that in doing so, you've become [automatically] subscribed to said discussion
- Click the [ unsubscribe ] affordance that appears within the == H2 == of the discussion you just started or commented in
- Publish another comment to the same discussion you started or commented in in "Step 3."
- ❓Notice you are NOT automatically re-subscribed to the discussion you participated in in "Step 6."
- ✅Notice you are automatically re-subscribed to the discussion you participated in in "Step 6."
This sections contains links to feedback wherein people expressed confusion about the behavior T284836 implemented.