Page MenuHomePhabricator

VisualEditorOverlay should be written as an OO.ui.ProcessDialog
Closed, DeclinedPublic8 Story Points

Description

Hopefully subject is as clear as possible :-)

Related Objects

Event Timeline

Jdlrobson created this task.Feb 4 2015, 3:05 PM
Jdlrobson raised the priority of this task from to Needs Triage.
Jdlrobson updated the task description. (Show Details)
Jdlrobson added a project: Readers-Web-Backlog.
Jdlrobson moved this task to Triaged but Future on the Readers-Web-Backlog board.
Jdlrobson added a subscriber: Jdlrobson.
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptFeb 4 2015, 3:05 PM
This comment was removed by Jdlrobson.

Change 203478 had a related patch set uploaded (by Jdlrobson):
WIP: Rewrite VisualEditorOverlay as a ProcessDialog

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/203478

@bmansurov, @Esanders @matmarex, I spent a few hours on this today. There's a long way to go, but I learnt a lot about some subtle differences between MobileFrontend's architecture and VEs. They don't seem so incompatible. We're actually doing very similar things so this shouldn't be too hard.

After hacking away at this I still see this bug as the holy grail for MobileFrontend fully using oojs ui.
Rewrite VisualEditorOverlay as a Dialog, this will bring MobileFrontend's 3 core components inline with those in OO.ui:

  • OO.ui.ProcessDialog = mw.mobileFrontend.require( 'Overlay' )
  • OO.ui.WindowManager = mw.mobileFrontend.require( 'OverlayManager' )
  • OO.ui.Element + template support = mw.mobileFrontend.require( 'View' )

Once we have this I think it will be pretty straightforward to more quickly iterate on moving mobile to OooJS UI.

Jdlrobson renamed this task from VisualEditorOverlay should be written as an OO.ui.Dialog to VisualEditorOverlay should be written as an OO.ui.ProcessDialog.Apr 15 2015, 9:00 PM
Jdlrobson moved this task from Triaged but Future to 2016-17 Q1 on the Readers-Web-Backlog board.

Change 203478 abandoned by Jdlrobson:
WIP: Rewrite VisualEditorOverlay as a ProcessDialog

Reason:
Not working on this. Someone should feel free to pick up.

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/203478

Jdforrester-WMF moved this task from Freezer to Epics on the VisualEditor board.Jul 21 2015, 6:21 PM

Not sure this will necessarily be the best approach...

Jdlrobson moved this task from Backlog to Tasks on the MobileFrontend board.Nov 4 2015, 5:28 PM
Jdlrobson moved this task from Tasks to Tech debt on the MobileFrontend board.Feb 18 2016, 6:43 PM
Jdlrobson moved this task from Tech debt to Bugs on the MobileFrontend board.Jul 13 2017, 5:41 PM
Jdlrobson moved this task from Bugs to Tech debt on the MobileFrontend board.
Deskana lowered the priority of this task from High to Low.Aug 31 2018, 10:32 AM
Deskana moved this task from Epics to Freezer on the VisualEditor board.
matmarex closed this task as Declined.Feb 6 2019, 4:22 PM

I think this would not be helpful at this point, especially given Jon's current plans for MobileFrontend's overlays (T212465, T214641#4907694).

Restricted Application removed a subscriber: Liuxinyu970226. · View Herald TranscriptFeb 6 2019, 4:22 PM