The existing font changer on mobilefrontend uses +/- controls and a the feedback is given with a % value to the user. This is a complicated control to use and the user expectation of 100%/110% is difficult to grasp.
Create easy buckets of font sizes
- Small - 90%
- Regular - 100% (default)
- Large - 120%
- Extra Large - 140%
The buckets can be selected with a dropdown widget.
We'll introduce the OOUI library (PHP+CSS) on this page. JS should not be needed since this is a simple form.
Before implementing read through the task T180419. It may make sense to do that as part of the change or separately. Developer should make the call.
- OOUI CSS should not be loaded on any page other than Special:MobileOptions; OOUI JS is not loaded on any page
- Document the change of size in CSS and JS on this page somewhere under mw.org Reading/Web so that we have data about what the impact of including OOUI is on a given page.
- Send an email to the team list with the page
The changes can be verified on reading web staging:
They cannot be tested on the beta cluster or production.
Sign off criteria
- Review T180419 to see which bits of it still apply
- Make a decision on whether to merge the code from reading web staging to the beta cluster and thus production. If not, make sure to update follow up tasks with this statement.
When doing this consider the following
- This will slow down the loading of the Special:MobileOptions page - do we want to investigate to what scale in any way?
- This will impact all special pages - do any look strange?
- Does it work without JS?
- Is the async saving acceptable?
Sign off process:
- Squash and merge the specialpages branch of MobileFrontend into master
- Squash and merge the specialpages branch of MinervaNeue into master (with dependency on the MobileFrontend change)