Currently, when a mobile editor has new talk page message:
- (A) If logged in, all they get is a "1" in a red circle
- (B) If logged out, they get nothing at all
Problem (B) is T240889, and a higher priority. I've been told by several people that (A) is not a problem, because social media sites use a similar system. But:
- Some people don't use social media
- This is not a social media site.
- Some sites (ab)use a similar system for Exciting! New! Offers! and other crap.
- Talk page messages, unlike other notices, often need to be read right now, or the user risks getting blocked for doing again whatever it was we were asking them not to do.
So I'd request that all users (registered or not) be shown something that clues them in that "this one is important". It doesn't have to be the orange bar of doom, of course, though that would be my first choice.
Of course many experienced users won't like this. So logged in users should be given an option to opt-out of the OBOD (or alternative), and go back to the notification-only system.