Research shows that editors find it easy to make a recent contribution they made into another language they speak. This ticket proposes to surface this kind of opportunity. For example, a user making a contribution to a section in English will get an invite to translate that section to Bengali when visiting the Bengali version (if such section is missing).
- The cog icon will lead to the settings system where users can opt-out to this kind of invite (to be supported when T290317 is ready. Meanwhile the cog can be skipped)
- The "Translate <section-name>" option will lead to Section Translation with the article, languages, and section pre-selected.
Details about the logic
This invite will be shown when:
- The user made, as part of their 10 latest significant edits (more about significant edits below), a contribution to the equivalent page they are visiting (in a different language).
- The contribution is a significant addition to the section. Diff is +500 bytes or more to consider it "significant".
- The section where the user contributed in the source language does not exist in the current language.
(The numbers above are suggested as a reference, they are open for discussion and can be tweaked to better capture the intent of the task)
After the initial implementation no events were registered for this entry point (T318910), so it would be good to double-check the instrumentation works as expected