Research shows that editors find it easy to make a recent contribution they made into another language they speak. This ticket proposes to surface this kind of opportunity. For example, a user making a contribution to a section in English will get an invite to translate that section to Bengali when visiting the Bengali version (if such section is missing).
- The cog icon will lead to the settings system where users can opt-out to this kind of invite (to be supported when T290317 is ready. Meanwhile the cog can be skipped)
- The "Translate <section-name>" option will lead to Section Translation with the article, languages, and section pre-selected.
Details about the logic
This invite will be shown when:
- The user made, as part of their 10 latest significant edits (more about significant edits below), a contribution to the equivalent page they are visiting (in a different language).
- The contribution is a significant addition to the section. Diff is +500 bytes or more to consider it "significant".
- The section where the user contributed in the source language does not exist in the current language.
(The numbers above are suggested as a reference, they are open for discussion and can be tweaked to better capture the intent of the task)