In one sentence, what is the problem or opportunity?
What does the future look like if this is achieved?
What happens if we do nothing?
- Developers building user interfaces that need to support these users could decide not to use Codex, which would result in a less consistent design and worse accessibility
- Alternatively, developers could decide to build a user interface twice, once in Codex for users of modern browsers, and once without Codex for other users. Developers would have to write and maintain twice as much code, and users could experience inconsistencies and bugs.
Identify the value(s) this problem/opportunity provides. Add links to relevant OKRs.
Rank values in order of importance and be explicit about who this benefits and where the value is.
User Value/Organization Value AND Objective it supports and How
- Knowledge Equity
- Architectural principle EQUITY/DEVICE
- Making key functionality available on older devices/browsers
- Improving the loading experience for users on slower connections
- Design Systems Team Objective 2: All front-end contributors can rapidly build consistent UIs
- Helps with key result C (90% of teams can leverage the Design System to build new features) by removing a barrier to Codex adoption
Why are you bringing this decision to the Technical Forum?
What about the scope of this problem led you and your team to seek input across departments/organizations?
- Every team that develops front-end features is affected by this issue, and for many of them it's a barrier to using Codex
- Overarching guidance for when and how to use server rendering affects all front-end product teams, and also requires input from e.g. the Performance team
- The implementation of one potential approach (Vue SSR) would likely involve deploying a Node.js service, which would affect how MediaWiki is deployed at WMF and how third-party users install MediaWiki
This is a problem statement, so it only talks about the problem, not about possible solutions. However, the problem statement is somewhat abstract, so to understand it better some people may find it helpful to read this page with background information, which talks about what the solutions to this problem could look like at a high level.