@Arystanbek has reported a community discussion in favor of enabling VisualEditor by default for all users at kkwiki. The vote is at https://kk.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Уикипедия:Форум/Техникалық&oldid=2304318#VisualEditor-.D0.B4.D1.8B_.D0.B1.D0.B0.D1.80.D0.BB.D1.8B.D2.9B_.D2.9B.D0.B0.D1.82.D1.8B.D1.81.D1.83.D1.88.D1.8B.D0.BB.D0.B0.D1.80_.D2.AF.D1.88.D1.96.D0.BD_.D2.9B.D0.B0.D0.BB.D1.8B.D0.BF.D1.82.D1.8B_.D3.A9.D2.A3.D0.B4.D0.B5.D1.83_.D1.80.D0.B5.D0.B4.D0.B0.D0.BA.D1.82.D0.BE.D1.80.D1.8B_.D1.80.D0.B5.D1.82.D1.96.D0.BD.D0.B4.D0.B5_.D2.9B.D0.BE.D1.81.D1.83 and has seven in favor, none opposed.
About this request for enabling at https://kk.wikipedia.org:
- This is a Phase 7 (language variant) Wikipedia. This makes me nervous, because it is possible that VisualEditor will not work correctly in language-variant pages. However, the community has made more than 500 edits in VisualEditor during the last 30 days (on the order of 1% of all edits), and the community did not note any major problems in their vote, so the risk may be relatively small in this language.
- The user guide is untranslated: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:VisualEditor/User_guide It may be useful to translate it.
I do not support offering this to logged-out (IP) editors at this time, because of the possibility of widespread problems due to the complex language requirements. I have no firm opinion about offering it to all logged-in editors at this time.
However, it might be preferable to start with further testing. One way for the community to do real-world testing is to post a site banner that asks logged-in editors to opt in via Beta Features and to report any problems to the local feedback page. After a month of testing, @Arystanbek or another editor could let us know if this is still considered a good idea, or if it would be safer to wait until our support for the Kazakh language has improved.
OK, fair point, if the use of language variants is very rare on actual pages (they just use the magic templates to get it done), maybe it's good enough at this point for them? I don't want to veto the wishes of the community unless there's a proven problem. :-)
Yes. The timing seemed to suggest it should have been coupled to the latest Phase 6. If this is where we want to start with Phase 7 (assuming David says it's time), I can go and let them know.