Filters may not be equally relevant in all kinds of changes listings. For the case of the Watchlist, some users have expressed their feeling that a lot of weight is given to filter controls when those are not as frequently used.
We can provide filter options in a way that the list of changes is the main focus for both, users not interested in filters and those with their own set of saved filters. In order to support that a "Filter" view that users can show/hide is proposed:
- Filters are collapsed by default. The collapsed/expanded state remains persistent so those with the filters expanded will see them that way in their next visits.
- A button to "show filters" allows to expand the filters.
- An icon-only version of the saved filters menu allows users to quickly change their filters without having to expand all filters. The saved filters menu should only be shown if the user has at least one filter saved.
- The "Active filters" label is removed from inside the filters box, and replaced by a "Filters" label on top of it. Th label works in the same way, that is, showing next to it the name of the current active saved filter if any.
- The filters label is shown with a back arrow that allows users to get out of the filtering view.
- The mark all items as seen is moved to the bottom of the filters active area. This may require to compact the controls in that area too by adjusting their labels or combining some of them (but that can be described in other tickets).
The interaction is captured in this animation: