Why both extensions together?
Although FileExporter and FileImporter are technically two extensions, we want to treat them as one (for the users at least) in beta. For the beta, the FileExporter should be deployed on Wikipedias, setting a link to the FileImporter. The FileImporter should be a Commons extension, but is only meant to be used through the link of the FileExporter, i.e. moving the file where the link was clicked.
Info on User, Control and Dataflow
can be found in the README, e.g. here: https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-extensions-FileImporter/blob/master/README.md
Testing the FileImporter
You can visit https://test.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Special:ImportFile, and then use e.g. the Commons picture of the day to test the import.
Please note: The first page, where you input a url is only there for testing reasons and will not be present when the FileImporter is deployed. Furthermore, importing from Commons is only possible in this test setup, not once it is live.
Needed for beta deployment of the extensions:
- Security Review for FileExporter: Done in T158661
- Security Review for FileImporter: Done in T160982
- Design Review: All designs come from WMDE-Design
- Performance Review: Requested, and then cancelled because not necessary anymore
- Deploy on beta sites: Done in T181383
- Deploy on test wikis: Scheduled for June 12th 2018
- Deploy on de-wiki,ar-wiki and fa-wiki: Scheduled for June 25th 2018
- Deploy on all wikis as a beta feature: January 2019 (T213425)
- Deploy as default on de-wiki,ar-wiki and fa-wiki: Roughly July 2019 (depending on feedback)
- Deploy as default on all wikis: Roughly July 2019 (depending on feedback)
These extensions are being developed to fulfil a wish of the 2013 de-wiki technical wishes survey. See here for more info on the project.