Small Wiki Toolkits
This focus area is planned for the Wikimania Hackathon and Wikimania.
With this focus area, we hope to support wikis & their communities who don’t have many/any technical contributors and help bridge the gap between developer and editor communities. We would like to enable more people in addressing their specific local use cases, technical needs and generally provide different language wikis and project communities a space to exchange on a wide variety of topics. We hope that this is going to be a space to learn from each other, have fun, find support & give support.
- Technical Support: Workshops for beginners
- Hacking: Projects with a focus on developing bots, tools, gadgets for a language wiki or project community; projects with a focus on internationalisation
- Technical documentation/translation: Translation of technical documentation, help pages, system messages, tools
We’re looking for folks who would like to run workshops, or simply help people with:
- Simple bots, gadgets and tools to help address local use cases (e.g. maintenance & curation tasks …)
- @srishakatux: toolkits for a simple gadget, tool
- @Mike_Peel: Using pywikibot
- Intro to Toolforge/Cloud Services
- Internationalization & localisation of tools/software
- Customization of wikis
- Templates, Wikidata generated infoboxes
- @Mike_Peel: Wikidata generated infoboxes
- Wikidata infoboxes workshop (T227559; @RexxS)
- Lua for beginners workshop (T227557; @RexxS)
- How to enable or develop small extensions
- How to use translate wiki, translate extension …
- How to run a technical workshop (a kind of train the trainer)
- Introduction to Phabricator (project management tool) (T219418; @Aklapper)
The plan is to expand this focus area to Wikimania to get more people in who are not at the hackathon. We could continue with smaller workshops, office hours in a dedicated space at Wikimania. We’re also thinking of 1 panel in the Wikimania program, and something like a mix and match board for problems & already existing solutions … :-)
Accepted Wikimania sessions with relation to this focus area:
- Building Technical Capacity in Smaller Wikis
- Introduction to Phabricator, with focus on reporting bugs, site configuration requests etc.
- Developing community norms for critical bots & tools
- Wikidata Infoboxes
Meeting space at Wikimania:
- Wikimania sessions are distributed across several buildings. The main workshop building "Södra huset" (the Technology program space is in that building too) has many tables & areas to sit in the foyer + in the main hallway. It looks good & we can have have a space there!
- There is a hacking room that is a bit more far away. We could use the more central space as a home base for office hours & the "problem is looking for solutions board" & also use it as a general meeting corner, and go to the hacking room for small workshops. We could have a poster there with a timetable to inform people about workshops, sessions, office hours, meetups ... .
- It would be nice to cover a few hours every day.
Advertising the area outside of Phabricator/the technical spaces:
The plan is to set up a sub page on wikimania wiki with timetable etc., and start spreading the word outside of Phabricator in the week of July 22-26.
- Page on Wikimania Wiki: https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Small_wiki_toolkits
- Email sent to Wikimania-l: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimania-l/2019-July/008796.html
More to come on twitter, fb et al - please spread the word :-)
Coordination: @srishakatux & @Bmueller