We need to add schema.org structured data to all images on Commons and images from Commons on Wikipedia in order to meet Google's requirements (see also here https://developers.google.com/search/docs/data-types/image-license-metadata) and continue to have the images appear in Google searches using the "Usage rights" filter.
We are looking at an approximate deadline of November 2020 to complete this work.
When the web team added a schema.org script to article pages, they set up an A/B test to ensure SEO was positively affected, and they confirmed that the added page weight was within acceptable limits. Adding the license data is not optional for us, but we should still determine if our work impacts page weight/performance so we can mitigate this if possible and communicate the change to those who may be concerned about it.
COVID-19 Deployment Criteria
- Can you roll back this change without lasting impact?
- A recovery plan is required as this will help identify our capacity for recovering from the failure
- THIS IS A KEY QUESTION, if you can’t answer it, you shouldn’t deploy
- Is specialized knowledge required to support this change in production? If so, are there multiple people with this knowledge?
- Is there a way to increase confidence about the correctness of this change?
- Reviews (Design, Code, etc)
- Testing coverage (unit tests, integration tests)
- Manual testing (e.g. Beta, vagrant, docker)