While WikimediaUI theme is set to only two distinct icon sizes – 20x20 dp canvas as default and 12x12 dp as (deprecated) special case indicators, there might be consumers of the library with further needs, possibly implemented in a different theme.
We've come to update many indicators and by-standing icons to 16x16 dp in Codex components. 16x16 is also the minimum size for icons in OS icon listings (Windows and macOS).
- 20x20 dp as default: token size-icon-medium (for backwards compatibility and clarify if we deprecate this and introduce size-icon-medium as successor)
- Implement that choice into Icon.vue
- 16x16 dp: size-icon-small
- 12x12 dp: size-icon-x-small – We shouldn't even call that icon, it's of no use with its usability/recognition issues and should only be used in two or three places, like the Select arrow indicator
Clarify further needs
- There has already been 30x30 icon size implemented a while ago in Notifications
- Microsites feature higher icon sizes, here for example Design entry page with 60x60:
Acceptance criteria for Done
- A Figma spec sheet is created for the component that includes the scope defined here. A link to the Figma spec sheet's MVP version has been added to this task's description.
- Include the component spec sheet in the Figma library
See T322631: Enable Icon components to support pre-defined sizes for implementation steps