On Friday, May 12th: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_Documentation_Day_2017
It would be awesome if we devoted 1 entire day to doing nothing but documenting MediaWiki. There are countless classes and functions in MediaWiki core and its extensions that have no documentation. There is also a serious lack of high level documentation for developers. The problem is that documentation is often an after-thought and rarely gets focused attention from developers.
Some suggested projects that could be part of MediaWiki Documentation Day:
- Tackle some of the blocking tasks at T2001 or Tracking-Neverending.
- Add in-code function descriptions for important functions that don't have them.
- Add in-code class descriptions to classes that don't have them.
- Create documentation pages on MediaWiki.org for important classes in core that don't have them. See Manual:User.php for an example of a page that does exist. High-level documentation, like Manual:Title.php#Title_structure is especially useful.
- Clean up our outdated documentation on MediaWiki.org.
- Create README files for all the extensions that don't have them and make sure that all configuration variables are documented there.
- Create some high-level documentation on how to write new API modules.