How to grow our technical community
Type of activity
=== 1. The problem ===
Lack of good technical documentation is a huge impediment to growing our technical community. We need to improve both our high-level documentation on MediaWiki.org and our low-level documentation within the code itself. We also need to update and improve our existing documentation. Better docs will help new developers quickly get their bearings and figure out how to make useful contributions.
=== 2. Expected outcome ===
Brief discussion of documentation pain points and best practices, followed by a work session to actually write documentation! Possible tasks include:
* Add in-code function descriptions for important functions that don't have them.
* Add in-code class descriptions to classes that don't have them.
* Create documentation pages on MediaWiki.org for important classes in core that don't have them. See [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:User.php | Manual:User.php ]] for an example of a page that does exist. High-level documentation, like [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Title.php#Title_structure | Manual:Title.php#Title_structure ]] is especially useful.
* Clean up our [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Outdated_pages | outdated documentation ]] on MediaWiki.org.
* Create README files for all the extensions that don't have them and make sure that all configuration variables are documented there.
* Create some high-level documentation on how to write new API modules.
=== 3. Current status of the discussion ===
=== 4. Links ===
== Proposed by ==
== Preferred group size ==
== Any supplies that you would need to run the session ==
== Interested attendees (sign up below) ==
# Add your name here