While talking with maintaining edit logs and etc for description and etc, @Legoktm asked why were not using Wikitext for anything, and it seems like the best thing to do!
|mediawiki/extensions/Newsletter : master||Remove unused $user passed to NewsletterEditPage|
|mediawiki/extensions/Newsletter : master||Add in NewsletterDiffEngine to explore history|
|mediawiki/extensions/Newsletter : master||Show up NewsletterEditPage for editing Newsletter content|
|mediawiki/extensions/Newsletter : master||Introduce ContentHandler on the Newsletter CustomEditpage|
|mediawiki/extensions/Newsletter : master||Convert Newsletter to use contenthandler|
|mediawiki/extensions/Newsletter : master||Introduce NewsletterEditorPage|
From what I can understand about Contenthandler, we might need the following things:
- You cannot just rename a newsletter (but can change its main page) from the manage page, but to rename a newsletter, it would mean to move it using the move dropdown on the right corner. So I will remove the input box from the code from there, and this will be logged (just like a wiki page)
- Delete button would not be needed anymore, and this will happen pure wiki way too, logged in the proper way!
Done these, and I think the wiki way is making the Newsletter look more solid! I have added an additional box called 'Edit Summary' to the Special:Newsletter/manage form so that it would store the summary for the log.
Interesting! @01tonythomas could you share a short update about he status of this task? Is it progressing, are you optimistic, any estimate about when you think this might be completed?
I must tell you that almost every week I get one person or another asking about the Newsletter extension, whether it is still a thing and whether it will be available in Wikimedia. :)
I am really optimistic it gets finished soon, as we have only 2/3 left now in https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/topic:shiftToContentHandler for review. If I can get say 10 minutes of @Legoktm or @Addshore, this can be even complted then and there.
Btw, I am stuck at one of legoktms comment here https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/304692/17/includes/NewsletterStore.php. If I do not get a reply today, maybe I will have to open a task, asking for help :-(.
I am also sad that this never made it into production (but we had drastic changes in between).-
Alright. So I think we can have all those tasks in the list as Google-Code-In-2016 tasks, we will have loads more, and this would be the bets program to fix them up.
I will pulled the changes to http://newsletter-test.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page, and things are live there.
I will have to open up some other task to clear the tables, so that the new system works.
Alright. Thanks to Google-Code-In-2016, we are left with no more blockers for this. At this point, the newsletter extension stores relevant things with ContentHandler, and you can see it in action here - http://newsletter-test.wmflabs.org/wiki/Newsletter:CustomOne.
We got the advantage of better logging, more wiki way page editing, deletion and undeletion, moving of newsletter names etc possible due to the shift, and thanks to @Legoktm for the idea. @Glaisher and @Addshore @Reedy @Qgil for your contributions and patience :D