wb_terms is one of the largest tables controlled by Wikibase, and probably that is queried and updated most frequently. This ticket aims to find a replacement for that large monolithic table.
- Uniqueness constraints should be re-implemented based on hashes T74430
- Lookup by label/alias should be implemented based on Cirrus/Elastic T194143
- Searching in the client (ArticlePlaceholder) T177453
- SpecialEntitiesWithoutPage (EntitiesWithoutTermFinder) T194144
- Term lookup by entityid+termtype+language T143706+T194158?
If all of these are done, we should be able to remove the wb_terms table (in the Wikimedia installation, for 3rd parties other solutions might be needed).