Currently, an edit made on Wikidata is visible to users on other Wikis as well. To understand what this means, visit the RecentChanges page on meta-wiki. Observe the edits shown on this page with the letter "D"; it indicates that these edits were made on Wikidata. Now on every wiki, there is an option for the user to add pages to a watchlist that they can use to see changes made to wiki pages they have chosen to track. If you are on meta-wiki, you can see your watchlist here https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Watchlist. On MediaWiki replace [https://meta.wikimedia.org] in the previous URL with [http://mediawiki.org], on Wikipedia with [http://wikipedia.org], etc.
The goal of this project is to show new versions of files (and possibly also file description changes, with a separate rc_source and filtered separately) made on Wikimedia Commons on the Watchlist in a similar way it is currently possible for Wikidata as explained above.
New versions of files (e.g. a crop, rotation, other change to the actual image/video) are much more relevant to Wikipedia than description edits (since they affect the content of the article). Thus, either it should only cover new versions, or new versions and file description changes should be separate, so you can opt into neither, one, or both. (However, a file description change could be relevant in allowing a better caption.)
See sample image below and try on all other wikis;
- To view changes on any wiki, go to the Wiki and navigate to “Recent changes” then uncheck the “Wikidata” box so that changes on Wikidata related to that wiki will not be hidden. A sample link can be found here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&hideWikibase=0 (when hideWikibase=0, Wikidata edits will show but then hideWikibase=1, Wikidata edits will be hidden. Actually, it's hidden by default).
- Select any Wikidata entry for the recent change (after step 1) and add the entry to your watchlist. Then edit the item and check your watchlist on that wiki, you should see the change available on your watch list or if someone else edits the Wikidata entry, it will show on your watchlist as well.
Above are the two steps to reproduce the task (for Wikidata use case) and understand what is to be done for this project. The project will be to show edits made on Wikimedia Commons on the Watchlist (globally). For example: edits on transcluded files, etc.
T171027: "Read timeout is reached" DBQueryError when trying to load specific users' watchlists (with +1000 articles) on several wikis should be resolved before this is enabled in production.
- Primary mentor: @Legoktm
- Co-mentor: @D3r1ck01
- Other mentors: @Bawolff maybe
- Skills: Database (SQL), Knowledge about MediaWiki job queue, Knowledge about how Recentchanges work in MediaWiki, particularly "external" changes.
- Estimated project time for a senior contributor: 2-3 weeks (I think this is closer actually to 1-2 weeks. I'm not sure if scope of this is big enough --@Bawolff)
- Microtasks: Any subtask of T90435: [Epic] Wikidata watchlist improvements (client)
- Some useful links;
- https://tools.wmflabs.org/crosswatch/ (tool no longer maintain).