There have been many discussions about opening up the Summit beyond the usual participation around wikitech-l and Wikimedia Foundation's Technology and Product departments.
There is a will to put more emphasis in technical areas beyond MediaWiki core, extensions, and infrastructure (tools, gadgets, bots, templates, apps, third party uses of Wikimedia APIs...)
There is a will to increase the participation of volunteer developers and third parties using Wikimedia APIs.
Sponsored travel budget is a hard limitation, but it could be complemented with better options for remote participation (before, during, and after the event) and possibly also with better outreach in the SF Bay Area and North America.
In this task we define which audiences we should reach, and how. Then we track progress and results.
Invitation for volunteers
The Wikimedia Developer Summit wants YOU
The Wikimedia Developer Summit is the annual meeting to push the evolution of MediaWiki and other technologies supporting the Wikimedia movement. The next edition will be held in San Francisco on January 9-11, 2017.
We welcome all Wikimedia technical contributors, third party developers, and users of MediaWiki and the Wikimedia APIs. We specifically want to increase the participation of volunteer developers and other contributors dealing with extensions, apps, tools, bots, gadgets, and templates.
- Monday, October 24: last day to request travel sponsorship. Applying takes less than five minutes.
- Monday, October 31: last day to propose an activity. Bring the topics you care about!
More information: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Developer_Summit
Subscribe to weekly updates: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:Td5wfd70vptn8eu4
Where to promote the Summit
Ideas to promote the Summit among volunteers between now and the deadline for travel sponsorship on October 24, taking as basis the invitation above:
- Send the invitation to all the Wikimedia technical mailing lists.
- Volunteer-supporters (private) by @Qgil
- Non-technical yet relevant
- Post the invitation to all technical Village Pumps (using MassMessage?)
- Send the invitation personally to top Wikimedia (non-WMF) developers, using our demographics data.
- Send an invitation to contributors working in Community Wishlist tasks.
- Send an invitation to (non-WMF) participants of the hackathons in Jerusalem and Esino Lario this year.
- Send an invitation to the GSoC and Outreachy participants (interns and mentors) in recent rounds (and GCi mentors).
- Use MediaWiki and Wikipedia social media to advertise the deadlines for travel sponsorship requests and call for participation, separately.