Mobile app service deployment and API
- Why: Reduce app load times and duplicated development effort with an app API, providing app-specific content and metadata, backed by a service built by the app team.
- Success: App service deployed & exposed in a public API end point
- Dependencies: reading team to finish implementation, write tests
- See also: T102130: Enable RESTBase caching and storage for MobileApps end points, T92627: Deployment of Mobile App's service on the SCB cluster
Scale RESTBase, replicate across datacenters
- Why: Add the storage and throughput we'll need to store more types of content, as well as historical revisions. Establish redundancy at the DC level for site availability and disaster recovery.
- Success: Expand the existing cluster by at least three new nodes. Set up a second RESTBase cluster in the Dallas datacenter and set up ongoing replication between the clusters.
- Dependencies: Procurement, Operations
- See also: T108613: Set up multi-DC replication for Cassandra, T95253: Finish conversion to multiple Cassandra instances per hardware node
Figure out a plan for change / event propagation
- Why: Changes to structured data and other events need to be propagated through storage and cache layers. Our current systems are not up to the task, which holds back development and causes bugs. We aim to make change propagation reliable, efficient, and manageable for developers.
- Success: Establish requirements, research solutions (both existing and possible development) and establish a clear plan of action.
- See also: T84923: Reliable publish / subscribe event bus, T99088: [RFC] Evolving our content platform: Content adaptability, structured data and caching, T102476: RFC: Requirements for change propagation, T105766: RFC: Dependency graph storage; sketch: adjacency list in DB
- set up RESTBase cluster in codfw, replicate from eqiad
- API support for mobile VE: citation and page metadata retrieval and edit APIs. See T102867, T55508.
- REST API expansion to cover all content-related functionality: T103811
- enable Varnish caching / purging for high-traffic end points
- service development support: Graphoid, Citoid, Mathoid, possibly lead images (T88633)
- Cassandra cluster scaling: T93790
- Deployment system development (with release engineering)
- Help with HTML dumps (T17017)