Page MenuHomePhabricator

Cannot add a Wikidata sitelink [2019-03-27]
Closed, ResolvedPublicBUG REPORT

Description

The Wikidata site opens, but I'm not able to add a sitelink.

And there's another Hebrew Wikipedia user who complained about it.

I click the "Edit" button in the sitelinks list at https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q1016414 , and the line for typing the language code doesn't appear.

I don't see any JavaScript errors.

And if I try to use the "Add link" tool on the Wikipedia article, then nothing happens when I type a language code.

On the Telegram channel several people think it's an "Unbreak now" issue.

Details

Related Gerrit Patches:

Event Timeline

Amire80 created this task.Mar 27 2019, 9:13 PM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptMar 27 2019, 9:13 PM
jhsoby added a subscriber: jhsoby.Mar 27 2019, 9:14 PM
jhsoby added a comment.EditedMar 27 2019, 9:24 PM

While testing for this I noticed that when I click "edit" and then "cancel" twice on the sitelinks for any item with existing sitelinks (like Q42), all language codes displayed turn into aa, and all links point to aa.wikibooks.org (even though the links are in the Wikipedia section). No idea if it's related or not though.

Same problem. A couple of users reported the same issues at IRC.

Addition of links not possible. Reproducible. Screenshot:

Problem reported by @jhsoby at T219452#5063851. Reproducible as well. All links turn to display aa after hitting Cancel (on Wikibooks links, that is; I cannot get Wikidata to let me add any link to any other project).

MarcoAurelio triaged this task as Unbreak Now! priority.Mar 27 2019, 9:55 PM
MarcoAurelio changed the subtype of this task from "Task" to "Bug Report".
Restricted Application added subscribers: Liuxinyu970226, TerraCodes. · View Herald TranscriptMar 27 2019, 9:55 PM

Yeah, this is pretty bad.

Same problem here. At https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q62554440 - try to add a sitelink, and you're not given the boxes to add the link to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Creek_City_Hall.

It still seems to be possible to add a sitelink through pywikibot (e.g., https://www.wikidata.org/w/index.php?title=Q8416977&diff=prev&oldid=895355247 ) - so this seems to be an interface issue.

abian added a subscriber: abian.

It sounds like this started happening after today’s 1.33.0-wmf.23 deployment, so added to T206677: 1.33.0-wmf.23 deployment blockers (though I’m not sure if that makes sense – it’s not like there’s a larger Wikidata in group2 that we need to prevent this being rolled out to). But there were also some Wikidata changes by @Smalyshev, so CCing him just in case, though they look unrelated to this.

Also adding to the campsite board for them to look at tomorrow (UBN tasks are critical enough to bypass Wikidata-Campsite, I assume).

Since this seems to be an interface issue, users familiar with QuickStatements could try using that tool to work around the issue for now.

I don't think I did any changes to Wikidata related to sitelinks in any way... Could be wrong of course but nothing comes to mind.

Problem on Wikidata started at or before 22:01, 27 March 2019. When did the 1.33.0-wmf.23 deployment begin?

wikidata got its version bump at roughly:

27th:
19:18 dduvall@deploy1001: Synchronized php: group1 wikis to 1.33.0-wmf.23 (duration: 01m 45s)
19:27 marxarelli: (resent; originally @ 1916) dduvall@deploy1001 rebuilt and synchronized wikiversions files: group1 wikis to 1.33.0-wmf.23

This ticket was reported in the next few hours: Wed, Mar 27, 21:13

So there is a high chance of them being related

I would imediatly suspect https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase/+/496622/ of the things that have changed in the past week

Change 499732 had a related patch set uploaded (by Addshore; owner: Addshore):
[mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase@master] Revert "Use enableModuleContentVersion() for Wikibase\lib\SitesModule"

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/499732

Change 499738 had a related patch set uploaded (by Addshore; owner: Addshore):
[mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase@wmf/1.33.0-wmf.23] Revert "Use enableModuleContentVersion() for Wikibase\lib\SitesModule"

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/499738

Change 499738 merged by Addshore:
[mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase@wmf/1.33.0-wmf.23] Revert "Use enableModuleContentVersion() for Wikibase\lib\SitesModule"

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/499738

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2019-03-28T10:15:46Z] <addshore@deploy1001> Synchronized php-1.33.0-wmf.23/extensions/Wikibase/lib: T219452 [[gerrit:499738|Revert: Use enableModuleContentVersion() for Wikibase\lib\SitesModule]] (duration: 01m 06s)

I would imediatly suspect https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase/+/496622/ of the things that have changed in the past week

ended up being that change .. resolved by reverting it on wmf/1.33.0-wmf.23

The issue should now be solved. Feel free to try again adding sitelinks and let us know if you encounter further problems.
Thanks Adam and Alaa for fixing it quickly!

Change 499732 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase@master] Revert "Use enableModuleContentVersion() for Wikibase\lib\SitesModule"

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/499732

Lucas_Werkmeister_WMDE closed this task as Resolved.Mar 28 2019, 10:50 AM