For those reading this thread and wondering what the heck happened, here's a brief overview of what happened:
- In the early AM hours of May 26 UTC, "freenodecom", apparently a bot account run by Andrew Lee that was logged in to the "freenode-placeholder-account", joined channels that mentioned "Libera" in their topics, identifying them as channels trying to migrate to Libera from freenode.
- The bot automatically transferred registration to itself, wiped channel access lists, cleared channel ban lists, deopped and devoiced all users in the channel, and set modes +if in the channels to redirect it to their ## channel equivalents. It would also change the channel topic to declare that it had been in violation of freenode's policies (see this paste for an example).
- The channel hijackings were reported by Devever, LWN, and The Register. Atheme has also severed ties with freenode. It should be noted that these hijackings were automated, likely done by combing through a list of channels that mentioned "Libera" in their topics (even if the channel wasn't actually moving to Libera; writing "We're not moving to Libera" was enough for the bot to hijack your channel for "wanting to leave freenode for Libera"!).
- Andrew Lee then posts a blog post berating communities that were leaving or had left freenode. An early version of that blog post also specifically called out Wikimedia, but was later modified; a screenshot of chat logs involving Waggie remain on the blog post, to which Lee captions with "A user, representing personal views, asks questions based on knowledge from joepie91 who does things for the 'lulz'".
So, in short:
- Any discussion over whether or not we should move to Libera from freenode is now moot: Andrew Lee has essentially said "My Way or the Highway" to us, and has booted us off his network.
- The new freenode administration has shown that they do not honour the preferences of each individual community, are willing to enact draconian measures to get their way, and are willing to belittle and berate those who oppose or question their actions.
- The decision to leave freenode was correct, because this sort of philosophy is fundamentally incompatible with how we operate here.
- Our business with Andrew Lee and his new despotic regime is finished.
Many IRC links are expressed using templates. When you view a previous version of a page, the current version of any templates or files is displayed, not the version that would have been displayed at the time of that revision.