- Affected components: MediaWiki core (Watchlist notification, Talk page notif, Password reminder etc.), Echo extension, LoginNotify extension.
- Engineer(s) or team for initial implementation: TBD.
- Code steward: TBD.
MediaWiki's notification system, implemented as a result of the Notification framework RFC, currently lives in the Echo extension. It should be in MediaWiki core.
- A notification system is fundamental to any kind of modern website and should be part of the default MediaWiki experience.
- Being in an extension, Echo has to use ugly hooks to suppress some core features and has generally weird interactions with some things.
- extensions that wish to use it have to do conditional checks every time they'd like to trigger a notifications.
- Echo is a reserved word in PHP, preventing us from using it as the namespace for a PHP class. ;-)
(TBD: Specify the features or criteria that need to be met.)
(TBD: Use this space for data gathering, status quo, proposals, other considerations etc.)
Former RFC: Notifications RFC (2011)
There was an RfC on this topic in 2011, without any definite outcome. See the comments of this task, mw:Requests_for_comment/Notifications_in_core, and the IRC logs P3638 (wmflabs archive) and P3640 (wmflabs archive).
Former RFC: Merge Notifications and Watchlist (2014)
See T128352: RfC: Need to merge Notifications and Watchlist or lack thereof.