Criteria to identify inactive code repositories:
- Premise: no patches have been merged to the repository in at least 180 days (localization updates don't count).
- If there are open changesets submitted without any review or stuck with 0/+1 after 90 days, the repository is labelled POSSIBLY INACTIVE. Ideally, a notification would be sent to the identified maintainers and other contributors to the project.
- If there are open changesets submitted without any review or stuck with 0/+1 after 180 days, the repository is labelled INACTIVE.
There is this pattern in Gerrit:
- Old open patch(es) waiting for review.
- No active maintainers around.
- For the past 1-2 years, commit history only shows localizations updates and an occasional hotfix from an external developer (usually a WMF employee).
- Not even the initial uploader responds when asking for updates in the changeset.
It would be useful to have a process agreed and documented for these cases.
- Should these changesets be marked as abandoned after, say, a year?
- Should the wiki page related to this extension be marked as unmaintained, welcoming patches only after there are maintainers?
- Should we remove the repository from our metrics on http://korma.wmflabs.org/ ? (this is only a problem when there are patches open for review, not -1 or WIP)
See for instance https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/148020/
To be marked as inactive
According to the criteria above, this is the initial list of repositories that could be marked as inactive and be filtered out from code review metrics in korma:
- AccessibilitySimulation (marked archived in zuul)
- Agora (marked archived in zuul)
- BlameMaps (marked archived in zuul)
- ClickTracking (marked archived in zuul)
- DiscussionThreading (marked archived in zuul)
- Mantle (marked archived in zuul)
- OpenSearchXml (marked archived in zuul)
- Parsoid (marked archived in zuul)
- mediawiki/extensions/Parsoid/cpp/contrib/libhubbub (dead according to cscott of Parsing)
- mediawiki/extensions/Parsoid/cpp/contrib/pugixml (dead according to cscott of Parsing)
- mediawiki/extensions/Parsoid/js/contrib (dead according to cscott of Parsing)
- PronunciationRecording (marked archived in zuul)
- RecentActivityFeed (marked archived in zuul)
- Vector (marked archived in zuul)
- WikiGrok (marked archived in zuul)
- analytics/abacist, deprecated by team Analytics
As per project descriptions in Gerrit:
- analytics/kraken - (deprecated) Wikimedia's self-service data platform See the refinery repos for the currently used code.
- analytics/kraken/deploy - (deprecated) Deployment project for Kraken. See the refinery repos for the currently used code.
- labs/incubator - TO BE DELETED
- mediawiki/extensions/InterwikiMagic - OBSOLETE. This extension is now obsolete, as it has been integrated into the Interwiki extension; see bug #68241 and gerrit:147755. ShoutWiki Interwiki Magic is a MediaWiki extension that fetches interwiki links (as opposed to interlanguage links) from $wgSharedDB while still fetching interlanguge links from the local database.
- mediawiki/extensions/Narayam - ARCHIVED - Input method extension
- mediawiki/extensions/OpenSearchXml - ARCHIVED - MediaWiki extension OpenSearchXml.
- mediawiki/extensions/ProxyListDb - ARCHIVED - MediaWiki extension ProxyListDb.
- mediawiki/extensions/skins - [OLD AND OBSOLETE] Collection of MediaWiki skins For current, maintained, functional skins, please see their respective mediawiki/skins/* repositories. All new skins' repositories should follow the mediawiki/skins/ naming convention. This repository is a left-over from the SVN era.
- mediawiki/extensions/WebFonts - ARCHIVED - Dynamic font embedding for Mediawiki pages
- mediawiki/extensions/WikibaseSolr - DEPRECATED (in favor of ElasticSearch support for Wikibase) MediaWiki extension WikibaseSolr.
- mediawiki/php/wikidiff - PHP extension wikidiff (obsolete)
- operations/debs/libanon - DEPRECATED, do not use. We have imported the source of libanon and are using a different repository to create debian packages. Use this: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/admin/projects/analytics/libanon
- operations/debs/sartoris - DELETE ME
- operations/puppet/cdh4 - This repository has been deprecated in favor of https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/admin/projects/operations/puppet/cdh
- operations/software/mwprof/reporter - MwProf profiling data webapp. -- DEPRECATED https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T97509
- wikimedia/fundraising/civicrm - Deprecated.