Page MenuHomePhabricator

Rename Võro Wikipedia, fiu-vro -> vro
Open, Stalled, LowestPublic

Description

Author: bugs

Description:
Please rename the Võro Wikipedia https://fiu-vro.wikipedia.org/ to https://vro.wikipedia.org/

"vro" is the ISO code: https://iso639-3.sil.org/code/vro

Mailing list thread that shows agreement: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2011-May/thread.html#31332


Version: unspecified
Severity: normal
URL: https://fiu-vro.wikipedia.org/

Details

Reference
bz29186

Event Timeline

bzimport raised the priority of this task from to Normal.Nov 21 2014, 11:33 PM
bzimport set Reference to bz29186.
bzimport added a subscriber: Unknown Object (MLST).
bzimport created this task.May 28 2011, 1:07 AM
siebrand set Security to None.
siebrand moved this task from Backlog to Wiki rename requests on the Wikimedia-Language-setup board.
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Matanya. · View Herald TranscriptAug 12 2015, 1:09 AM
Koavf added a subscriber: Koavf.Aug 25 2015, 6:00 AM
Keegan added a subscriber: Keegan.Sep 9 2015, 8:06 PM
Krenair added a subscriber: Krenair.Sep 9 2015, 8:25 PM
Vorok added a subscriber: Vorok.Sep 9 2015, 9:08 PM

Rename fiu-vro to vro is still needed and there is consensus that it should be done.

I wonder what's up with these rename requests that takes years to complete. What's hindering it?

Not much any more.

I started a thread about it a couple of weeks ago - https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2015-August/082914.html

And there was an agreement, more or less, that it used to be very scary, but it shouldn't be very scary in 2015. be-x-old was moved to be-tarask a few days ago, and except for a few non-disastrous fixable glitches, it worked - see T11823. There are probably a few more coming.

Krenair added a comment.EditedSep 10 2015, 2:23 PM

I wonder what's up with these rename requests that takes years to complete. What's hindering it?

For years people were waiting on a solution to rename the database itself (this is quite hard due to issues involving external storage databases). What we are instead trying to do now is detach the database name from the domain name and just change that instead. It's been tried on a private special wiki (chapcom -> affcom) and I've seen no complaints, and we also recently tried it on be-x-old -> be-tarask wikipedia. Most things there are fine, but there's still a few issues involving interwikis (I looked through this nightmare yesterday and will be posting on T111853 later), wikidata integration (site table - see T111853), some external services (including T111818 and T111850 for CX, mostly cleared up now and will hopefully be fixed by the end of today) and the SiteMatrix extension (T111876).
I would like to get the remaining issues from be-tarask sorted out and a full list of things needing to be done completed (it's mostly written and up on wikitech, but waiting on some remaining details from the issues we found after the be-tarask move) before renaming another on a project-language wiki (i.e. I think a special wiki like T31919: Move the wiki of WMEE should be fine).

I wonder what's up with these rename requests that takes years to complete. What's hindering it?

For years people were waiting on a solution to rename the database itself (this is quite hard due to issues involving external storage databases). What we are instead trying to do now is detach the database name from the domain name and just change that instead. It's been tried on a private special wiki (chapcom -> affcom) and I've seen no complaints, and we also recently tried it on be-x-old -> be-tarask wikipedia. Most things there are fine, but there's still a few issues involving interwikis (I looked through this nightmare yesterday and will be posting on T111853 later), wikidata integration (site table - see T111853), some external services (including T111818 and T111850 for CX, mostly cleared up now and will hopefully be fixed by the end of today) and the SiteMatrix extension (T111876).
I would like to get the remaining issues from be-tarask sorted out and a full list of things needing to be done completed (it's mostly written and up on wikitech, but waiting on some remaining details from the issues we found after the be-tarask move) before renaming another on a project-language wiki (i.e. I think a special wiki like T31919: Move the wiki of WMEE should be fine).

Just in case it weren't clear, thank you very much for this, @Krenair and everybody involved!

Thank you both for the explanations.

Just pinging.
be-tarask seems to be ok, but were there any significant problems? Would it be possible to have fiu-vro changed to vro now?

Restricted Application added a subscriber: JEumerus. · View Herald TranscriptApr 21 2016, 12:00 PM
hashar lowered the priority of this task from Normal to Lowest.Sep 14 2016, 10:12 AM
Krinkle changed the task status from Open to Stalled.Apr 30 2017, 3:55 AM
Krinkle added a subscriber: Krinkle.

Stalled since renaming (T21986) is blocked on T145535 (e.g. T112426.).

Krinkle removed a subscriber: Krinkle.Aug 23 2017, 6:12 PM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: jeblad. · View Herald TranscriptAug 25 2017, 12:53 PM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: alanajjar. · View Herald TranscriptJan 29 2018, 4:32 AM
Meno25 removed a subscriber: Meno25.Nov 23 2018, 7:41 AM

Change 527914 had a related patch set uploaded (by Fomafix; owner: Fomafix):
[operations/dns@master] Add 'vro' as alias for 'fiu-vro'

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/527914

Fomafix added a subscriber: Fomafix.Sun, Aug 4, 7:36 PM

Change 527915 had a related patch set uploaded (by Fomafix; owner: Fomafix):
[operations/puppet@production] Add 'vro' as alias for 'fiu-vro'

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/527915

Fomafix updated the task description. (Show Details)Sun, Aug 4, 7:36 PM