As a wikibase developer I want wikibase to use extensions registration so that I can make easy use of new mediawiki features such as PSR4 autoloading T182943.
As a WMDE employee I want wikibase to use the same extension registration system as other WMDE maintained extensions so that I only need to know about 1 system.
As the WMF I want wikibase to use extension registration so that all extensions are consistent T87875
More details are available on T87875.
Also see the docs on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Extension_registration
All 4 extension entry points in the Wikibase git repo need to be converted.
- WikibaseRepo @ https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-extensions-Wikibase/blob/master/repo/Wikibase.php
- WikibaseClient @ https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-extensions-Wikibase/blob/master/client/WikibaseClient.php
- WikibaseLib @ https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-extensions-Wikibase/blob/master/lib/WikibaseLib.php
- WikibaseView @ https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-extensions-Wikibase/blob/master/view/WikibaseView.php
Impact & priority
Per T87875#4464905 Wikibase is one of the final 7 extensions to be converted that are deployed to the WMF cluster.
This many not be actively blocking anything critical, but this ticket has been open since 2015 and moving forward with it will require commitment by the Wikibase teams due to the complexity of the entry points and configuration.
Convert all listed entry points to use extension registration.
- Wikibase can still be loaded using the .php entry points using backwards compatible stubs
- All entry points listed above (4) are converted