Various proposals have floated around over the years. The wikitech-l threads have some good discussion on some of the reasons why this is difficult for smaller wikis.
- T39230: Provide standard way to create/run QUnit tests for Gadgets and user scripts (bug 37230)
- T53651: Auto-generated gadget code documentation (bug 51651)
- T71550: Move code in enwiki MediaWiki:Common.js and Gadgets to MediaWiki software
- T121470: Central Global Repository for Templates, Lua modules, and Gadgets
- T171563: Only allow MediaWiki, Gadget, and User namespace pages to be treated as JS or CSS (no project namespace, etc.)