The goal of this project is to reduce badly uploaded media content on Commons by making improvements to the uploading process through Upload Wizard (UW). This would help reduce moderator burden further down the Commons funnel. See project page.
We have identified UX improvements for the first part of Upload Wizard improvements based on the extensive design discovery and data discovery work in Q1 (T337408, T344957, T344959, T340546, T337466) which included the following:
- interviews with uploaders
- analysis of deletion requests
- interviews with moderators
- uncovering user mindsets
- exploring designs concepts
- usability testing of the designs
- baseline deletion rate data
We will focus on redesign of the Release rights part of the upload process and its two steps:
- Choosing the own vs not own work step
- Specifying release right information for both own and not own work
to make the upload process more intentional so that it prevents upload of content not intended for commons and decreases future moderator burden.
As a moderator, I want that uploads to Commons are made more intentionally and are conform with Commons rules so that there is less moderator burden of flagging and reviewing deletion requests.
As a user, when uploading media through Upload Wizard on Commons,
- I want to place my file in the correct own vs not own work category
- I want to ensure that my file satisfies Commons rules and choose the right license option
So that it does not get flagged and deleted in the future.
- Upload Wizard on Commons
- Redesign the Release rights part of the upload process
- The Release rights step are implemented as per designs for uploads of a single file:
- Same workflow is extended to multiple files upload T347705
Out of scope of this project
- Improvements of other parts of Upload Wizard on Commons
- Improvements of other parts of Commons
- Improvements of media upload process on other projects (Wikipedia visual editor and source editor)
- Implementation of algorithms for automatically flagging potential content on upload