This task is about adjusting and/or adding the affordance(s) that appear on talk pages to make it easier for contributors, across experience levels, to identify where/how to add a new topic to a talk page and access this affordance, regardless of where they are on said page.
- As a Senior Contributor or Junior Contributor who is arriving to a talk page knowing that they want to start a new discussion, I want to to be able to quickly and easily locate the affordance for doing so, so that I can proceed with drafting what I have in mind with minimal interruption.
- As a Senior Contributor viewing the "bottom" of a talk page after having read the existing conversations on it and now realizes I would like to start a new discussion, I want to be able to quickly and easily access the affordance for starting a new discussion, so that I do not need to go "looking" for the affordance just to come back to where I currently am.
@ppelberg to finish completing.
- The affordance(s) for starting a new conversation should be easy for people to identify and access on desktop and mobile.
- We should be mindful about changing the language and/or appearance of the existing New section / Add topic links for people who have the New Discussion Tool enabled considering the confusion/complexity this could cause. See: T264220#6813101.
- What language should appear on/in the affordance for starting a new discussion?
Below is a living list of approaches that have been talked about so far, on-wiki and in T249784:
|Additional links elsewhere on the page||"Ajouter un sujet" (bottom of fr.wiki talk pages), + (bottom of some nl.wiki talk pages)|
|Large blue buttons at the top of the page with custom calls to action||"Ask a question" (en.wiki), "New message" (cs.wiki), "Make a new request" (fr.wiki),|
|"New section" form is preloaded with a template/instructions||"Request to administrators" (fr.wiki), "Request for immediate deletion" (fr.wiki), see T250768#6073965 for more examples|
|Links at the top of the page||"Click here to ask a question" (nl.wiki), "Start a new topic" (~550 people are using this on en.wiki)|
|Instructions within new section form||"You are going to request the immediate deletion..." (fr.wiki), "Instructions for discussion" (cs.wiki)|
|An omnipresent form||F32249808|
|A button with an accompanying subject field||See the Požádat on this page at cs.wiki|
|An Add topic button at the bottom of the page||See this page at fi.wiki|
|On Meta, the last section heading on a talk page has [ edit / Add topic ] instead of just [ edit ].||https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Babel|
As @AdHuikeshoven, @Akoopal, @Awesome_Aasim, @Julle, @matej_suchanek, and @Vojtech.Vesely [i][ii][iii][iv][v][vi] have noted and previous usability tests have confirmed, the current "Add topic" / "New section" tab can be difficult for Junior Contributors to identify and all contributors to access, especially on longer pages.