More information: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TimedMediaHandler/VideoJS_Player
Former blockers, now fixed
- Support for audio player
- We need a separate skin mode for audio player
- The skin needs to be better sizable to small sizes
- T121387 We need support for audio captioning. Either:
- we need to switch audio to video elements, so we have a surface to draw into. Downside. ipa pronunciation player 15px x 15px probably doesn't really fit this model
- create a new plugin, that takes the events from subtitles, then implement a transcript surface (put it in a centered 'modal'-ish bar. (see VoiceOver ui). More work, but likely more sustainable long term, when we have multiple forms of players.
- Fix rendering of slider in small player (video.js error about number of elements in controls) T226319
- Subtitle support
- T116154 Add support to WebVTT. See also TimedText rework
- Convert SRT to VTT from API (T111552) – using https://github.com/captioning/captioning
- Or run a bot and just skip flexibility for now
- Commons has most of these, there are 1430'ish A/V files with one or more TimedText pages, 7300'ish total timed text files.
- link to file description page T132493
- Loading i18n files
- Needs RL'ifying
- Multi resolution support:
- https://github.com/kmoskwiak/videojs-resolution-switcher ( VideoJS 5+ support and greater support over deciding resoulutions. )
- Mostly done.
- Our labels/resolutions is different from how it is encoded in this plugin. Make this configurable inisde that plugin ?
- currently blocked on https://github.com/brion/ogv.js/issues/334
- https://github.com/streamroot/videojs-quality-picker might be a cleaner alternative ?
- play button on centre of player
- we won't do this, because for mwembed there is a request to have it off-center
- start from offset (slightly broken in multiple videos per page)
- Doing this with native media fragments
- Needs ogv.js support Upstream ticket
- Add ogv.js tech plugin to Video.js
- Iframe embed support
- Doesn't work. https://test2.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Arborophila_brunneopectus_pair_feeding_-_Kaeng_Krachan.ogv&embedplayer=yes.
- Height is broken on embedded player when using video.js.
- Advertise it on regular usage. Perhaps via plugin that adds an embed code panel: https://github.com/guardian/videojs-embed
Enhancements Kultura had
TODO: create new tasks after Video.js becomes default
- Create subtitles option T299348
- Make default resolution based on both thumbnail size + device pixel ratio (currently, only based on thumb size)
- Remember user resolution override
- Remember user last selected volume level https://github.com/theonion/videojs-persistvolume
- End card showing title, author, etc (MediaViewer / Commons meta data) – http://theonion.github.io/videojs-endcard/
- Share option
- Embedplayer option. Perhaps via plugin that adds an embed code panel: https://github.com/guardian/videojs-embed
- Add a download button? (Native context menu "Save as.." might suffice, also download link exists on File info page)
Ideas for later
- mini player/badged player mode for T122901
- Related videos
- Replay button ChangeID
- Airplay and Chromecast support
- Poster for audio files (to essentially support adding audio underneath a thumbnail, e.g. in the infobox of a bird!)
- Separate TMH playback technology so that Score extension can re-use the client-side player + maybe transcoding.
- "Small thumbnail" mode T133500
- Use cases: Category pages, galleries, small thumbnail sizes.
- Currently (Kaltura mode) opens these in a dialog.
- Smaller "play" button in case of small thumbnails?
- Future options:
- √ Open in dialog with OOjs UI
- Or; Add support in MediaViewer T77147: Show Videos in Media Viewer