The UrlShortener extension is designed to implement Tim's suggestion from https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/URL_shortener#Tim.27s_implementation_suggestion
It provides a special page, Special:UrlShortener, that accepts arbitrary links from whitelisted domains, and gives them short urls. It is intended that we will use the "w.wiki" domain for this.
- Create a tracking bug for the extension's deployment to Wikimedia wikis. This bug should only concern deployment itself, any sub-issues (that block deployment) should be separate bugs that are listed under "Blocked by" for this tracking bug.
- Create Extension: mediawiki.org page for developers and people who will install or configure the extension.
- Create Help:Extension: mediawiki.org page for the end user documentation. Cross-link it with the above.
- Request a project in Phabricator if none exists yet.
- Get the extension code in Gerrit.
- Show community support/desire for the extension to be deployed.
- Request (and respond to) a product review, if applicable
- Request (and respond to) a design review, if applicable. T191592: Design review for UrlShortener
- Open (and respond to) a Application Security Reviews ticket blocking this.
- Make sure the extension is automatically branched.